Friday, November 26, 2010

A love story, revisited.
















When I gave the toast at my sisters wedding, I talked about love (how incredibly remarkable, I know).

I did so by painting the picture with a very simple story.



I was doing the dishes at the kitchen sink, and Jenna was in the living room. All of a sudden from inside the other room, I hear...


"JOE!!"

Silence.


"JOE!!"

"JOE, COME IN HERE!!"

"JOE!!"

"JOE!!”

“JOE!

Did you see this, Joe?!"



Now, I’m not exaggerating, if you knew my sister you would understand.


I looked over at Arturo, Joes brother in law, who stood in the kitchen with me; we both smiled.

Not so much at the profound love connection between two human beings, but more honestly at my sisters incessant summoning, in all of its .... incessantness.


But just then, it clicked.

Love.


Quite simply, Jenna was looking at something;

and her j o y was not complete, until Joe was by her side enjoying it w i t h her.



I read a poem, and this was my instant experience.

All I wanted to do was share it; to have someone enjoy it with me.

In this I was brought back to this story, and I found it quite appropriate given that the wedding toast was given exactly one year ago today.


So, in honor of my sister - who wore well the shoes of a beautiful wife, and is now walking the road of a widow.

Thank you for inspiring me in your small and simple acts of love. You have always been a delicate soldier.


I pray that it’s His love you cling to. I hope you stay believing that as the chaos of life spins widely out of control- it falls right into His hands. And there's no better place.


This poem is a plea to Him, the Overseer of our souls, written with a true heart of flesh;

showing the nature of our astounding humanness.


So, without further ado ....


“WORLD!!!”

“WORLD!!!”
“WORLD!!!”

WORLD, Come OVER HERE!”

“Have you READ THIS, World?!?”

;)


Found neatly tucked through the glorious doors of

The Rabbit Room

written by Andrew Peterson

http://www.rabbitroom.com/

(you should totally check it out.)


THANKSGIVING

(A CONFESSION AND A PLEA TO THE ALMIGHTY)


"O God, Magnificent Confounder,
Boundless in mercy and power,
Be near me in my apathy.

Be near me, Savage Dreamer,
Bright Igniter of Exploding Suns,
But not too near. I’d like to live,

By your grace, just long enough
To taste another perfect steak.
And to see my children marry,

And, perhaps, to pen a memoir.
Great redeemer of my lechery,
Bright Dawn of Blessed Hope,

Lay waste to every prideful thing,
Each black infraction of your law.
O Swirling Storm of Holy Anger,

Be patient with me. I’m certain
I will make a second gluttonous
Trip to the festal spread of food.

And I might as well admit, O King
Omniscient, I plan to make a third.
And that will lead to sloth, I know,

If only for the afternoon. Awake,
O sleeper! But not yet, not yet.
I want to dream a dream of light

In Heaven’s towering splendor.
I long, my Lord, to walk its streets
Or better yet, to drive them.

I’ve always wanted a motorcycle,
A cool one that blats and rumbles
Like a herd of flaming zebras.

I could totally impress the ladies
With my holy rolling zebra steed,
But only by your perfect pleasure,

Ruler of the angel armies, blaster
Of the horn of strength, would I ride
The golden highways awesomely.

O Wisdom of the Ages, speak!
Sing to me of secret knowledge
Open wide the gates of truth,

And let me learn it, by your grace,
Through the medium of television–
Smartly written situational comedy,

Perhaps, or an epic space opera.
Let me taste the honey of your word,
My beloved savior. Seriously. Save me

From my wit, my words, my songs,
My sin, my bad poems, my vanity,
My every single human impulse,

Except the ones I like and am able
To justify using my corruptible
Reason, my imperfect understanding,

And my belief in your inexhaustible
Forgiveness. When I awake, saintly,
I will consume a dish of pumpkin pie.

And, as I politely swallow a belch,
I will lean my heart on yours, Almighty,
To whom, alone, is due thanksgiving."


No comments:

Post a Comment